Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Nana's Babygirl SMILES!



Jenna has been smiling for a while now but I finally have pictures to prove it! I finally received a disk of 50 pictures of my little Jenna today. I have been wanting to post updated pictures of her but my son has been BUSY and couldn’t seem to get around to sending me a disk.

Hummm… Imagine that… he has been busy. I wonder why he has been so busy? It’s not like he has a lot of responsibility now or anything.

I also received this article from him in an email today. I thought it was interesting.

By JoNel Aleccia
Health writer
MSNBC

Baby's first smiles give mom's brain a buzz
Tiny grins light up reward centers that lead to quality care, study says


Any mother who's ever felt a jolt of joy at her baby’s first grin knows how intoxicating that can be.

Now, scientists at the Baylor College of Medicine say there’s more to the baby buzz than just a rush of happy feelings. Turns out that seeing your own child smile actually activates the pleasure receptors in the brain typically associated with food, sex — and drug addiction.

“It may be that seeing your own baby’s face is like a ‘natural high,’ said Lane Strathearn, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Baylor and and Texas Children's Hospital who studied the brain reactions of 28 first-time moms.”

“We know similar brain circuits are activated,” he added. “Whether that feels the same as a shot of cocaine, I’m not sure.”


Well I don’t know if it feels like a “shot of cocaine” either but I can tell you… I know from experience that my baby’s smile did make me feel “intoxicating joy”!

I can’t wait to experience seeing my Jenna smile at me while I am there for my next visit!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't she just the cutest? I bet your excited to see her, I would be too!

I see that you live in Denver, just an hour away from me!

I wanted to say hi and say thanks for entering my giveaway at Tip Junkie on Monday.

I hope to see you again-

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh come on! Who wouldn't get a jolt from seeing that darling little one smile!

Hugs,
Joanne

the tattered nest said...

what a little cutie! thanks for stopping by my blog...of course you can add me to your favorites! I am flattered!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Hi Deb - this is Colleen from Utah -thanks for stopping by - hey, my kids are in the Denver area! Married daughter and 3 grands in Morrison and a son and soon to be daughter-in-law in Littleton - small world, huh! And, on the way to work this morning, I heard the "Big news" about a baby's smile - as if we as Mothers and Grandmothers couldn't have told them that all along!! I must admit, If I knew grand babies were this much fun, I'dve had them first!
I'm adding you to my blog as well. "See" you soon-
Colleen

Betty said...

Just found you on Utah Grammie's blog...I love the picture of your grandchild. I read back a few and I also love the picture of your dog on your computer screen (June 28th post). Come see me sometime.

Betty said...

Deb, just got your comment on my blog. Yes, I would love it if you add me to yours and I'll do the same. This is too much fun!