Thursday, February 28, 2008

What's in a name?

Okay... I have had 49.5 years to come up with a name for my grandchildren to call me... Well okay not really my whole life! I have really only thought about what I would be called in the past few years. So for let's say about three years now I have been contemplating what I would be called if God so chose to bless me with a grandchild. I called my grandmother on my father's side "Grammy". My grandmother on my mother's side was called by her 13 grandchildren "Grandmother". I know... very original. We couldn't call her grandma or anything else to shorten the name because we were taught that that name was respectful.

So anyway, I thought for the past three years that I would be called "Grammy".

But now... I am not so sure.

When I created this webpage I named it Being Grandma because I had decided that I would just stick with the traditional "Grandma" name.

But now.... I am not so sure.

My son has sent me a few suggestions...

Grandma
Granny
Mo-Mo
Nana
Grammy
Me-Ma
Grandmother
Gramma
Ma-Ma

I have also looked for on-line suggestions. Do you know that there are quite a few websites for "grandma nicknames"?! You really can find anything on the internet!

So... I am still trying to decide. Maybe it's not for me to decide.

Maybe it's for my first grandbaby to decide.

What do you think?

Deb

8 comments:

Chosen1forlife said...

It's going to be a tough decision! Good thing for you that you don't REALLY have to pick until she starts trying to talk. Then you have to settle on a name for her to work on!

And your "countdown" thing still doesn't seem to be working right!

djrachal said...

let the first grandchild decide. it's her duty in the first of a long line of very important decisions as far as i'm concerned.

Lori Eads said...

Even though you may want her to decide you still have to give her something to try to repeat. My mother in law wanted to be called grammy so bad, she drilled my nephew. He came up with nini. Sounds nothing like it but that is who she is. The boys call her that too. My mom chose nana and the boys could say it easily. My other mother in law chose grandma and the boys call her "ga ga". Pick something then she will come up with her own twist.
You have to call yourself something before she can talk. You have to sign cards with this name and use it when you call or talk to her, and John and Melody will have to refer to you as something. I like nana, but you never know what that could end up being. :) Good luck!
-Lori

djrachal said...

Lori made good points i didn't even think of. I guess there are things you only think of when you're a parent! I like grandma the best but that's likely because that's what I called my grandmothers... you'll have a lot of influence regardless :) what did you say Carol is called? are her grandchildren speaking..? perhaps a middle ground?

Melody said...

I like several of the names on your list. My mom is already "Mimi" to my nieces. I called both of my grandmothers "Grandma." Whatever you decide, she'll love saying it because it is associated with you :)

Deb said...

THANK you guys for your comments! I loved the feed back! I have decidfed to be called.....


NaNa!

Yes It sounds right to me and natural.

Tina T. was so gracious in letting me use her grandma "nickname" so I am going with that.

Maybe I'll have to change my blaog name.

Deb

Girl Raised in the South said...

I went with Grammy because my husband called his grandmother that, and it sounded nice and soft and lovely to me. My friend became a grandmother for the first time this past week and chose Nonnie - and I love that too. You can always wait 2+ years and see what that baby comes up with!

djrachal said...

I love Nonnie! I have never heard that before!